What am I meow?!
1. I was picking up my dog’s poop, oh, I forgot to mention my dog! Well, his name is Torro and he is about 4 years old. Okay, back to what I was saying, I took a short break. I started thinking about how he had no responsibilities, no troubles, and the best thing of all, no school. When I took a break on the porch something unexpected happened.
2. I turned into a newborn kitten. I literally couldn’t see a thing. I was terrified, in fact, I would’ve screamed if I didn’t make the sounds of a kitten. I couldn’t hear anything. Then I felt something hold me in the air. It smelled like a litter box and poop. Somehow, I could sniff out another cat when I was put down. I felt fur and warmth.
3. I knew what was going on. I expected to turn back into a human but nothing happened. I tried to remember my wish. From what I remembered, I should’ve been able to change back. I tried thinking of myself in my mind, and then I said “Kate, Kate, Kate,” and nothing happened. I wasn’t even sure if I was making noises. I kept talking and talking, but I had no idea if anyone could hear me.
4. It took me a while to fall asleep. I was thinking about my family. I was really hoping my clone was there. It was a rough 5 days, but at least I could hear. I learned that I was in a cat mill. I could understand my cat's mother but she didn’t talk much. I didn’t expect a cat to be so smart. After 7 days, I was able to see. My cat's mom was beautiful. From what I could see she was a ragdoll cat. She had a few scratches, but overall lovely. She always watched me. Honestly, it felt like I was being threatened.
5. One night, my cat's mom grabbed me by my scruff and took me through this hole in the ground covered by our blanket. “What are you doing?” I asked her. She only responded by shushing me. She started running. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, but it was way more scary. She set me down after she couldn’t see the cat mill anymore.
6. “Who are you?” I was frightened.
7. “Names Riley. Say, have you ever come across a wishing well and made a wish?” Riley asked.
8. “How did you know that?” I asked suspiciously.
9. “I thought I covered it up,” She said with a sigh.
10. “It was covered, but what are you talking about?”
11. “A few years back, I got pregnant. I thought I was ready, but then, my husband left me a day before I had my girls. I couldn’t handle being a parent. When I was taking a walk, I came across the wishing well. I was feeling pretty desperate, so I,” I cut Riley off before she finished.
12. “So you wished to be a cat,” I interrupted.
13. “No, I wished not to be me, I wished to be anything else but me. I should’ve been more specific. Then I went through the phase,” Riley said.
14. “What’s the phase?” Told you you would find out what phase meant later.
15. “The phase is where your wish starts developing in your cells. The phase doesn’t end until the wish is done developing,” Riley explained.
16. “How long does it last?” I asked fast.
17. “Mine lasted only a week, but it all depends on what the wish was. What did you wish for?” She asked.
18. “I can barely remember, it was so long ago, and I didn’t start going through the phase until now. I think I wished to be able to be anything and to have a clone for when I am that thing. I think I also asked to be able to choose how to be born and where. I know I wished to be able to turn into something by picturing the thing in my mind and saying the name three times, but it’s not working.”
19. “That is a pretty specific and complicated wish. It could take at least 8 months for that wish to fully develop, maybe a year!” She said worriedly.
20. “I can’t stay like this for that long, I need to get home! Is there any way to undo it?” I asked sounding nervous.
21. “Well, that brings me back to my story. When I was done with my phase, I was trying to find my way back to the well. I tried to undo my wish, but it didn’t work. After that, I didn’t want anyone else to make the same foolish mistake I made so, I covered it up, hoping no one would ever find it. Do you know how gross leaves taste!” Riley said.
22. I sighed and said, “I guess, I will just have to wait until I have full control.”
23. “We have to keep you hidden in case you turn into something else,” Riley said as she trotted off. ”
24. “I am worried I will be born into something else and it will be somewhere else,” I said as I followed her.
25. “Just try your hardest not to. By the way, I never got your name.”
26. “It’s Kate.”