November is NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. If you are unfamiliar with this caffeine driven, slightly manic event, it’s an annual internet based project that invites writers from all over the world to create 50K words of a novel during the month of November. At Inkitt, there are additional activities, events, and contests to encourage you to participate and help keep you motivated. So, if you feel so inspired, you should absolutely participate!
The Pros and Cons of NaNo
Here are some good reasons to go for it:
- You can use the event to kick-start a project and get a solid chunk of content completed in a short amount of time.
- You can tap into the energy and momentum of a huge writing community to help keep your project moving forward.
- You’ll develop a solid, daily writing habit.
- The event provides outside accountability, which some of us need to stay on target.
In my opinion, there is only one big con, and that is the stress of having to produce so much content in a short amount of time. 50k words in one month is a lot of content! If the pace doesn’t mesh with your natural writing rhythm, the event just may not work for you. Here’s my full article discussing the pros and cons: It’s NaNoWriMo Season! Are You In?
If you are feeling inspired to join in the NaNoWriMo fun, we’re doing our part at Inkitt to help keep you motivated. As an Inkitt author, you’ll be able to participate in additional events and contests to help keep you going. Check these out.
Inkitt’s 2020 NaNoWriMo Writing Contest: https://www.inkitt.com/nanowrimo-2020
- Enter your NaNoWriMo work here as a great way to track your progress, reach a new audience of readers, and win exciting prizes!
- This contest is open to all genres, ongoing and finished works, and offers a variety of prizes such as professional one-on-one coaching, social media promotions, in-house marketing consultations, and of course, cash prizes!
Inkitt’s Weekly Word Count Milestone Event: https://www.inkitt.com/groups and https://www.inkitt.com/groups/69
- Each week, stay on pace with your NaNoWriMo goal and write 11,666 words!
- Submit your accomplishment to us at the end of each week using this link: https://bit.ly/3kWOuna
- We will award you with an exclusive new profile badge for every week that you reach your goal!
Inkitt’s NaNoWriMo Surprise Award Event: https://www.inkitt.com/groups/69
- When you reach the 50,000 word mark on your story that you began in November, you will earn a special award.
- This applies to all genres and works that are both ongoing and completed.
- As long as you begin your story in November and reach the 50,000 word mark, you can earn this award.
- Please fill out this form once you reach your goal so that you can earn this special award https://bit.ly/3kXdjzC
Bottom line, there are many good reasons to join in the fun and participate in NaNo this year, so good luck and happy writing!
Want to know more about the Inkitt platform? We invite you to ‘ask Inkitt’ via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll post answers to the most frequently asked questions every Thursday right here on the Inkitt Writer’s Blog.
Interested in learning more about how to succeed as an author on Inkitt?
Check out our last few Ask Inkitt articles, for insider tips, secrets and advice.